Friday 6 October 2017

Day 22: Debate prep

Everyone responsible for own notes for Wednesdays debate.  Cease working on the group notes.
Print out the existing notes.  Rest of arguments to be handwritten on lined paper.


Examples of language used to express opinions (debate)

Introducing own opinion:


  • My (own) personal view on this matter is that...
  • Personally I think that.....
  • It's my belief that....
  • The way I look at it is this....
  • As far as I can see
Stating a contrasting opinion first:
  • It is widely believed that.......However, personally I think that....
  • It is sometimes said that.....but my own view is that....
Other expressions give more information about the speaker's attitude to the view expressed:
  • I understand both sides of the argument, but on balance I think that...
  • I don't think there can be much doubt that...
  • There is no doubt that....
Speed debating topics:
  1. Should students be banned from bringing cellphones to school?
  2. All immigrants should adopt the values of their host country


Current events.  Sign up for the homeless simulation through UGM.  CLICK to read and watch

No comments:

Post a Comment