Tuesday 25 April 2017

Day 48: Guest speaker

Topic: Privilege and Intersectional Feminism
Candy represents privilege
For the following answer yes/no.  If yes, connect the candy.  Examples of questions include:


  1. When I open a magazine I see my race represented.
  2. English is my first language.
  3. I can walk down the street without being afraid of unwanted sexual advances.
  4. I have travelled several times in my life.
  5. When people use the terms skin colour/nude they are usually referring the colour of my skin.
  6. I have never had to skip school to celebrate a school holiday of my religion, nor have I had to skip a holiday celebration to go to school.
  7. I have never had to worry about politicians deciding what I can/cannot do with my body.
  8. Post secondary plans - my family will support me financially.
  9. Go through most days without being limited by physical or mental illness.
  10. I have almost never been uncomfortable by a joke related to my race, class, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or ability.
Analyze own candy structure...how did it make you feel building this?
Is this an accurate way of demonstrating privilege?  
Can privilege be measured?
Is discrimination that we face connected?

Clip from Kimberle Williams Crenshaw on Intersectionality: CLICK to view
Intersections of privilege and oppressions and how people move through the world.
Living in a world where we ask ourselves questions.  Example: when I am walking onto a plane, there is someone in the world who can't.  How are other people dealing with the world.  Empathy.

Four terms:  4 I's of intersectionality and oppression (identify an example)
Internalized: when members of the oppressed group begin to believe and internalize the negative messages about themselves that the oppressors inflict, resulting in divisiveness, pessimism, and damaged self-respect or pride amongst the oppressed group.  
Interpersonal: when beliefs and attitudes translate into normalized actions in the form of micro aggressions, which are common everyday derogatory behaviours towards members of an oppressed group
Institutional: when the beliefs and attitudes towards oppressed groups in the society become embedded in the institutions of the society through law, education, workforce, politics, and other formal structures.
Ideological: when a society maintains at its basic core the idea that members of one group deserves to hold more power than the other because of intrinsic characteristics that these groups hold


No comments:

Post a Comment